Family Court Appeals

If you feel the courts failed to give you the ruling you deserve in your divorce, you have the right to contest their decision. This is done by appealing to a higher court called the Court of Appeals, where basically you are asking for a review of the decision in your case.

You must have a legal basis to appeal. In other words, an appeal should be an appropriate action under the circumstances of your case – not just because you disagree with the judge. Some examples of reasons why a divorce judgment should be changed are:

  • fraud was committed on the court by your spouse
  • assets were concealed by your spouse
  • the court may have made a legal error
  • the judge may have abused his or her discretion